Saturday, March 24, 2007

NC$$

Wow, I hate the NCAA.
I love sports, and I loved college, and I love college sports. However, the NCAA is really starting to piss me off. Clarkson, my alma mater, was here in Rochester this weekend for the NCAA Hockey Regionals. I'm psyched, because I am a hockey fan, and I know this will bring a bunch of people to Rochester who I don't get to see too often. That said, this weekend pissed me off.

First, they were only selling weekend passes to the games up until this week. Alright, get a little more money out of people, but give them a "deal". Some fucking deal, the tickets were $71 a person. For that you get 3 games, but they know damn well that you're going to go to a maximum of two because that's the most your team can be a part of.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though...3 games for $71. Quick math gives tells me that's over $23 dollars per game. Now I know what many of you are thinking, Super Bowl tickets are like 10 times that. Yes, BUT-that's a professional sport with paid athletes and an over-hyped, over-wardrobe-malfunctioned halftime show. I'm talking about a COLLEGE game. So you're charging me $23 a seat per game, and then we find out that when our team loses, they have to get on the bus that night and go back home because the NCAA is not paying for rooms for losers. This seems to break two rules of "fair play": You are kicking people out for losing, because you only like winners, and you're not allowing that losing team to watch the next game and be show their good sportsmanship by cheering on other teams. I want my $71 back. OK my $142 back, because my wife went too. OK my $150 back because of some ticket master "handling" fees....but that's another blog in itself.

I will give you think, I'm running on 2.5 hours of sleep and my alma mater fell to a lower seeded school last night, so I may not be completely coherent. The fact remains that the NCAA really pisses me off, and is way too focused on making money and not nearly enough on the spirit of the game. We wonder why we get spoiled brats in professional sports? It all starts in the NC$$.

No comments: