Tuesday, April 3, 2007

LSP Volume II

Next topic to tackle: Grammar. I am told that English is one of the hardest languages for foreigners to learn because of the amount of irregular verbs and colloquialisms that have made it into mainstream language. That aside, if you were born here, you should know the language.

As far as I am concerned, you should head back to Elementary School (also sometimes called "Grammar School" for a reason) if you have trouble with the following things:

There, Their and They're. These are three COMPLETELY different words, and should be treated as such.

Your and You're. Not as confusing as the last one, but still should be taken seriously.

My personal favorite: Comming. Not every word requires you to double the the last letter when adding "ing"
See also: I before E except after C. Catchy phrase, and gets you out of trouble in situations like receive. I know you love the ieve words, but not this time pal!
Lastly, I will touch on the or friend '. When you are playing Go Fish and want to ask someone if they have any of the number 7, you don't need an apostrophe. It's not "7's", it's "7s". You are not selling me "Hyundai's", you are selling me crap...I mean Hyundais. Another complication, OMG, what if it ends in S already??? My last name is Jeffers, if there are two of us, we are Jefferses, NOT Jeffers's. However, if something belongs to us, how do you spell that???

OK, I am off on a tangent. My point remains that grammar is good for you. If you use poor grammar, I have every right to deny you a job, stop being your friend, and/or openly ridicule you in public. Parents, teach your fat, lazy, Ritalin-laced children some grammar, or their may be a day were are kids d'ohnt no whut there even saying.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Bill, you forgot my all time favorite. "Bill and Me went to the park." NO! "Bill and I went to the park." MORONS!

MCO said...

Bravo!

While I'm convinced that people are never going to learn there, their and they're, I must insist that people stop using the apostrophe to pluralize things.

Don't say ATM's unless you are referring to a possession of the Automated Teller Machine.

While we're on the ATM rant, can we stop saying "ATM Machine" and "SCUBA Equipment"? An Automated Teller Machine Machine?

Duh?

Unknown said...

Hmmm. The Jefferses' house. The Jeffers' house. If it were me, I'd say Graves', but that's because I already have an es on the end.